Saturday, December 4, 2010

Colourful fabrics brighten up gloomy day.

This is the first really gloomy day we've had for a long time and it's been raining non-stop. To cheer myself up I got out the fabrics I bought in Turkey during the summer and autumn to try to decide what I'm going to make with them. I've got a few patterns in mind, but I would be grateful for any advice my readers can give me. Maybe you can recommend other patterns too. I must admit I'm rather afraid of cutting my beautiful fabrics and wonder if I should try out the patterns with cheaper fabrics first.

This is pure silk. It wasn't very expensive ( about 50 euros for 3.7 metres of 150 cms wide fabric) and it's a beautiful quality. I bought it at the Silk Market - Koza Han in Bursa ( Proussa).



   Here's a Simplicity pattern I thought I might use to make it, but I'm not sure.




     
Burda 8351.

Here are photos we took of Koza Han - The Silk Market in Bursa, Turkey.

                           



Koza Han - The Silk Market.

While I was writing this post, we had thunder and lightening and very heavy rain and I got disconnected from the Internet. I was just about to post pictures of the fabric I bought in Istanbul during August. It was extremely hot but I was determined to look for fabric in the shops between The Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar. Once again I was spoiled for choice but eventually chose two fabrics in  silk crepe - I'm not sure if it's pure silk but it's so beautiful, it really doesn't matter. The following photos don't really do it justice.




                                

  I have no idea where I'm going to wear these silk dresses when I eventually get them made - they will hardly be suitable for picnics!            


















2 comments:

  1. It's true that this silk is beautiful. The one I prefer is Burda Patern, the flowered one. You will have to go to the Opera with such a silk on you ! Good luck for your sewing. I remember my mother saying that silk was not easy to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your opinion. Yes, I like the flowered version of the Burda pattern, but I think short sleeves would be better as we have so many months of warm weather here. Opera? In Xanthi? That will be the day!

    ReplyDelete