Sunday, February 19, 2012

Progress and problems with Simplicity 1914 Amazing Fit dress.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've made some progress with my Simplicity 1914 dress. I managed to sew the shaped waistline and pleats. 

 I'm now ready to fit the sleeves but before doing so, the facings for the long -sleeved version have to be finished.  I've attached them to the sleeve and trimmed the first one, and I'm ready to understitch  but there seems to be too much bulk where the sleeve seam and facing meet. I'm not sure if I have made a mistake even though I have followed the instructions (12, 13, 14, 15) carefully.


Can anybody offer some advice, please, especially somebody who is making or has made View A of this dress?                                 
 

11 comments:

  1. I can't offer any advice because I don't have the pattern, but I hope you find someone to help! Did you try at mysewingcircle.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I have tried mysewingcircle but there are no replies yet.

      Delete
  2. Hi PicnicFan... Wow this is looking great. I am not sewing this yet and am still only learning myself. I have a couple of questions that you or someone may be able to answer for this. From your photos it LOOKS like you have used a heavy interfacing. Is this correct and is this what the pattern called for? The picture might be showing it heavier than it is. It also looks like you may have "block" interfaced - if that is the correct term? Interfaced the whole piece instead of leaving the seam allowance out of the interfacing. Is that correct? I do know from watching the Palmer Pletch DVD on Jacket making that this causes bulk in the seam area. Don't know if I am interpreting the picture correctly or even if this is the problem at all - I have only just completed my third garment so maybe I am completely off track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beajay, Thank you very much! Maybe you are right although the interfacing is not as heavy it looks in the picture. I probably should have excluded the seam allowances when I interfaced it, but it's too late to change that now. I'm trying to neaten the seams as much as possible and maybe with a good pressing, it will be OK.

      Delete
  3. Hey PicnicFan,

    Glad to hear you have sorted out your sleeves. Looking forward to seeing your completed dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sooooooooooo much for following my blog. I am so honoured.
    I do hope we become good blogger friends.
    Following now
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm happy that I can follow your blog too.

      Delete
  5. I live in Edirne.Where to get wool and fabric.Alipaşa bazaar,bedesten bazaar..http://nagice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me gusta tu blog, te sigo, besos ana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Donna --
    Obviously I am way late to the game here but when you have too much bulk look for ways to trim. After attaching the interfacing, trim back as close as possible to the stitching. At an intersection like the one pictured above, you need to remove the excess fabric by snipping little V's into the corner, taking care not to nick the seam. And when you are trimming a seam and you have two layers, make the piece closest to your body shorter, so it will layer out smoothly when pressed. I hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You brought back some memories with that simplicity pattern my mom and I had tons of those ,and I still have some ,happy to have found your blog ,visit when you have time .theodora

    ReplyDelete